The Cost of Experimentation

I had a light-bulb moment the other day. I realised that churning out paintings and experimenting with new techniques are mutually exclusive (for me). Last year, I decided to focus on just a couple of techniques and this year I decided to add a couple more techniques as well as a new medium. Oh, and I’ve also been experimenting with colour mixing this year! I feel like my productivity has really stalled to a crawl this year, buried under a groaning mound of experimentation. Too much new makes Katherine decombobulate.Work in Progress art

Above is one of the inevitable failed pieces that fell victim to me not knowing what the hell I was doing. I’m still rather fond of the drawing so it’s been relegated to the “failed/old & crap paintings worthy of a do-over” pile.

I certainly don’t regret biting off more than I can chew as I’ve developed quite the nifty bag of tricks this year. Having said that, I have resolved to dedicate next year to getting stuck in to just hammering out some of the paintings I’ve had my mind’s eye on for an age. I actually edited that – I’d originally resolved to stop experimenting and start producing immediately but then I thought about all the things I still haven’t tried and there’s only a couple of months left in the year anyway, sooo… what’s the harm. I think I’ll see how I feel when I begin the next piece.

I’m always looking for ways to “un-clutter” my art-making process so that I can get some traction and make some real progress with my skill-set. I’m totally anal that way.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *